Wednesday, June 8, 2016

It's 2 a.m! Most people think "what in the world can she be doing at this hour"? Well, I'm up and wide awake. It isn't because I can't sleep, I totally could. I want to sleep, however, the roles of being a mom are alive in me and I'm busy fulfilling them. My husband and I adopted a 6 week old kitten. She is still getting used to everything and is still so tiny that she needs lots of help. Almost 3 weeks ago, our first kitty, Ellie, snuck her way under my husbands foot right as he was running to turn off boiling water on the stove and her femur bone was snapped in half. We rushed her to the Vet E.R and were going to have surgery done to fix it. During the surgery, the Vet called me and told me that the break in her leg was so severe that it could not be fixed. She explained that our next option was to amputate the leg, or put her down. Now under any other circumstances, I would have opted for the amputation of the limb, however in Ellie's case, 2,000 plus dollars for a leg amputation was something that my husband and I could simply not afford. I was a mess! I cried and cried. I couldn't do it. How could I make the decision to end my precious Ellie's life due to a damn broken leg. What the HELL! But I had to make a decision and quick. The cost of the anesthesia was increasing with every second I wasted on the phone with the Vet. I looked at my husband and we both knew we had to put her down. Let's just say I was just beside myself. We went into the clinic the next day and said goodbye to her body before she was cremated. I received closure, but inside, I was hurting so bad. I never thought I would be able to open my heart again towards another kitty. Ellie was my world. We had a special bond that could not be broken. Even when I got mad at her for ripping things she wasn't supposed to. A few days ago, an ad popped up on the computer for a kitten. She was small and white with blue eyes and a gray face. I immediately fell in love and the next day we went and picked Lily up! She is such a doll. She is not a replacement for Ellie. She is her own kitty. Her personality is 100 percent unique. She is now my other baby. Just like mom's who have more than one child, Lily is my second child. I love her so much, but just like each child, you love your children differently. Lily is such a sweet heart. She is very outgoing and cuddly. She is still very young and needs lots of extra care- hence why I am up with her at 2 am. I would trade this any day over not having a pet to love and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment